Uninsured / Underinsured Motorist Coverage

The following scenarios are very commonplace. You or a loved one is seriously injured in an automobile accident where the at-fault driver has only state minimum insurance coverage. Alternatively, perhaps the incident occurs where a hit and run driver causes the collision and flees the scene. Far too many people believe that they have no recourse in these instances.

In fact, the answer is oftentimes just the opposite. Drivers routinely purchase uninsured-underinsured (UM-UIM) motorist coverage as a part of their automobile insurance policies. What this does practically is provide you a remedy in each of the aforementioned scenarios.

Specifically, if the individual who caused your injuries does not have sufficient insurance coverage to compensate you, then you can make a claim against your insurance company on your underinsured motorist coverage. Similarly, if the individual who caused your injuries has no insurance or flees the accident scene, you can make a claim against your own insurance company on your uninsured motorist coverage.

It is vital that all drivers understand that these means of recovery are available and that you pay insurance premiums to your insurer so that they can be used when necessary.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email us for response

Injured In An Accident?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Ryan, Ryan & Landa

Ryan, Ryan & Landa

Waukegan Office
209 West Madison Street
Waukegan, IL 60085

Phone: 847-416-0362
Phone: 847-244-1480
Map & Directions

Chicago Office
33 N. Dearborn
Suite 1430
Chicago, IL 60602

Phone: 847-416-0362
Map & Directions